Monica previously contributed a recipe for mango pachadi, but I had a bunch of curry leaves and green chillies to use up so I decided to adapt her recipe. I served it with a red cabbage thoran, a paneer & cashew curry and raita and it still managed to be the star of the show. This is a keeper for sure!
Serves 6 as a side
4 tablespoons oil
3 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
120g red onion, diced
1-2 green chillies, halved (depends on your spice tolerance)
1 sprig curry leaves, stalk removed
1 tablespoon mild chilli powder (mainly for colour)
¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon asafoetida
400g cubed green mango (I used skin-on green mango)
¾ teaspoon salt
30g vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1. Place the oil and whole spices in a wok or pan.
2. When the spices begin to turn fragrant and crackle, add the diced onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry on medium heat until the onions soften.
3. Add the ground spices and fry for another minute.
4. Add the green mango, salt and water and allow to simmer on low heat until the mango softens, covered.
5. Stir in the vinegar and sugar.
6. Mash the mangoes coarsely.
7. Simmer until the pachadi reduces to a slightly thick consistency.
8. Remove whole spices if desired.